VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tea Strainers





In the book Tea & Etiquette by Dorothea Johnson, she writes:
"Tea strainers are designed to be held above or to rest on top of the cup to catch leaves that escape from the teapot when the tea is poured. I still use one, even though I don't need to since the leaves are contained in my tea filter. It's the ritual of holding that little silver object over the cup, and the pouring of tea into it, that forces me to slow down and enjoy the whole process."
Huh ???

I can appreciate that this action "forces" her to "slow down and enjoy the whole process" but .... I was actually quite dumbfounded by her revelation.

Would (or do) you use a tea strainer when there are no loose leaves in the teapot?


9 comments:

Linda at Friendship Tea said...

I do not use a strainer when there are no leaves in the teapot. Interesting...

Rosemary said...

Nope... don't use one, although I have a collection of many... the ritual of having to wash it after use causes me to pause and not use the strainer.

Bernideen said...

I just love using them in displays and photos - especially the more ornate Victorian Style ones!

Kitty said...

I wonder if she uses an umbrella when it's not raining?:-)

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Kitty, LOL. For some reason an image of Hyacinth Bucket comes to mind using a tea strainer with no leaves. LOL

Marilyn said...

Funny! No I don't really find a need for a tea strainer very often. Since I am not one for etiquette I have not read her book.

Crowbard said...

I do so admire her liberty of choice, her freedom to maintain an outmoded and now unnecessary method simply for the comfort it brings and the time it takes... shades of the Japanese tea-ceremony.
All kindly blessings to you all, Carl.

Angela McRae said...

Well, um, no. I would just feel silly!

Anonymous said...

I DO use an ornate silver one I have, mostly because people lean over and ask: "What is that thing?"

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...