VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Victorian Kitchen - Afternoon Tea episode




The Victorian Kitchen was a television series made by the BBC in 1989 (no one does a documentary like the Beebs). Set in a restored Victorian kitchen, cook Ruth Mott - herself a former kitchen maid in a prominent English household - recreated meals that would have traditionally been served in Victorian times.

I really, really enjoyed watching these, especially the segment above on Afternoon Tea. Near the end of the video, I like the little trick used to check cakes before sending them upstairs for serving.

The Victorian Kitchen DVD series (check for compatibility with U.S. DVD players) and its companion The Victorian Kitchen book would be an excellent addition to anyone's library.

Alternatively, you can watch the entire series on YouTube:



6 comments:

Donna and Miss Spenser said...

I have the book, but not the DVD's - would love to own them all! Maybe some day?! TX for sharing!

La Tea Dah said...

So nicely done --- "we reckon we're above washing up, but until we learn to do it right...". Much to think about. Thanks for sharing this, Denise.

Linda J. said...

I loved this! Thanks so much for sharing.

Christy Kay said...

When I was a kid, my Dad bought a hand turned ice cream maker and had a recipe for the ice cream. It was my and my sisters job to turn that d****d crank and it seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r before it was done. But it was the best ice cream I'd ever had!LOL.
I really enjoyed this, Denise. I was only going to watch a few minutes and ended up watching the whole thing.

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

One of the things that really jumped out at me was how *small* that churn was. It certainly didn't produce much, did it?

Glad you enjoyed it. I just loved it. I found it very calming. I guess that's what happens when you're watching someone else do all the hard work!

Marilyn said...

Loved the tea one, finally found time to watch it. Now I must find time for the others. The picnic one looks like one I would like. Thanks for sharing the links.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...