VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Friday, June 22, 2012

Tea Haiku


Kobayashi Issa was a Japanese poet born in 1763. He wrote over 20,000 haiku - "one-breath poems" - that celebrate the small wonders of life, and wrote under the pen name "Issa," which means "Cup-of-Tea." He is regarded as one of the four haiku masters in Japan. 

Here is one of his poems with beautiful imagery:
making the lawn
a sit-down teahouse...
summer trees

6 comments:

my cup of tea said...

Beautiful Haiku and a beautiful tea cup! I now feel the need to take my tea pot outside to the side lawn and have a teapaty for one! Thank you for sharing! Have a very blessed day!
~Donna~

La Tea Dah said...

Issa - I love the meaning of his name. Lovely teacup and a perfect poem!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Hi Donna - and LaDonna!

It *is* a lovely teacup, isn't it. It's a photo I found on the web and I thought I had linked to the original source but I see that it is not working that way I thought it would. I'll have to work on that...

Thank you for dropping by.

Marilyn said...

Love the image of sitting on the lawn for tea.

Steph said...

I've been studying haiku as part of my Japanese tea ceremony classes. So simple but layered!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

So true, Steph. Much like the Japanese tea ceremony itself.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...