VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tea Fit for a Queen - The Real One


I watched a programme on telly the other night about Royal Warrants and the London companies that have them. During the segment on Fortnum & Mason, we were told that although they could not reveal the Queen's favourite tea, they could tell us that the Palace orders quite a lot of Fortnum & Mason's Smoky Earl Grey tea.

Smoky Earl Grey? I must admit, when I look at all the teas offered by Fortnum & Mason, this is one I would not guess as being favoured by Her Majesty, but then, I haven't tried it. Maybe it's lovely.

I like Earl Grey tea a lot, but it is only in small doses that I can drink Lapsang Souchong or Gunpowder tea (both of which are used in the Fortnum blend).  

If you'd like to give it a go but don't have access to tea from Fortnum & Mason, you might try Kusmi Smoky Earl Grey tea.

Or perhaps you'd rather eat your tea than drink it, in which case you could substitute Smoky Earl Grey for regular Earl Grey in the popular Earl Grey Cupcake recipe from Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days like Veronica at 21 Netley did.


Image source: The New Yorker

12 comments:

Marilyn said...

I don't mind a bit of smokey, but not a big fan of Earl Grey. It could actually be an interesting combination.

Linda J. said...

I am just catching up on your blog posts after traveling for a week. Oh, I'm so happy you re-joined the blog world to bring us your "unique" views on tea!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

I agree Marilyn - it could have possibilities. I may give this a try; conjure up my own blend the next time I can get my hands on small, sample amounts of [loose] Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, and Gunpowder.

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for popping by - and welcome home. It's great to be blogging again! Loved the picture of you and Nancy. :-)

La Tea Dah said...

I think I would like the Queen's choice. And I think that is a most delightful picture of her!!!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

It is a good picture, isn't it. I love polka dots!

Di said...

Whether or not it's actually the Queen's preference, I can definitely see a spot for it - can't you imagine having this smoky fragrant tea on one of those damp dark afternoons? - just perfect. I'll try mixing my own combo for sure. And I'm loving your blog - just discovered it, and reading through many of the archives :) Looking forward to more .....

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Hi Di and welcome!

Oh my, I've just had a look at your blog - you're a needlewoman! I used to *love* *love* *love* cross-stitch. I never graduated much further than that, although I did do a wee bit of smocking and some drawn thread. I certainly loved it at the time. Your samplers, etc. are beautiful.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

amherstrose said...

Have tried the Kusmi Smoky Earl Grey, a sample I recieved at the Fancy Food Show. Usually not a fan of smoky teas, but I love the combination for something different.

Have a happy day, Denise.

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Good to hear this, Mary Jane.

Di said...

Thanks for your welcome, Denise, and for your visit at my stitching blog.

I'm seriously in love with the cup and saucer on your header - do you happen to know the maker and/or pattern name?

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Hi Di,

I do indeed know about the cup and saucer in the header because it is mine! The pattern is "Byron" by Copeland Spode.

We purchased a set of cups and saucers, tea plates, and a few other pieces from ebay.co.uk, although I am sure you could find them on ebay.com as well.

You can see in the picture that I am using an egg holder for a sugar bowl until I find a sugar bowl in this pattern that is affordable. As with many vintage patterns, some pieces are more rare than others.


Good luck!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...