VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tea to dye for


Anyone who watches old war movies is familiar with the shortage of silk stockings due to rationing. If you were lucky enough to even have a pair, and unlucky enough to get a run, you darned or crocheted the hole closed.

Some women (obviously, not tea drinkers, as tea was rationed, too!) made do with leg dye made from cold tea - and painted on seams with eyebrow pencil.


"Gosh, I hope it doesn't rain today!"


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Don't forget to enter my free giveaways
here and here
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

So glad we don't have to do that.

Jason Witt said...

With all the rationing and saving, they wouldn't dream of drinking cold tea for themselves. I call that crazy. I'd go for that cold tea and have plenty of it. Yes, I would.

Lisa Leggett said...

Wow, that is so very interesting, I've never seend anything quite so creative, but necessity is the mother of invention. I've been reading your posts for some time, but I've never commented before. Always such amazing information!
Thank you for sharing.
Lisa

pollypissypants said...

not gravy?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...