VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Thursday, September 24, 2009

Victoria Sandwich made with the Spon


Not long ago I shared with you a nifty, new kitchen tool - the Spon - sent to me by Neal Robertson, a tearoom owner in Scotland. Well, I finally had the opportunity to use the Spon to make Neal's signature Victoria Sandwich and I am absolutely tealighted with the results!

As is often the case with a first-time recipe, there were a couple of "hiccups" (explained later) but overall, the results were teariffic.

Here we go:

Gather ingredients


8 oz. self-raising flour (I used White Lily)


8 oz. golden caster sugar
(I used white caster sugar; Neal says golden produces a richer color.
If you can't find caster sugar, try superfine granulated sugar.)


4 large eggs (I used Eggland)


2 teaspoons baking powder


8 oz. butter or margarine (I used butter)


Measure ingredients into a large bowl .....


.....and beat with the Spon until creamy.


Grease and base line two 8-inch round tins.....


.....and split the mixture between them.


Bake at gas mark 4 (350 degrees).....


.....35-40 minutes until golden brown
and shrinking in from the sides of the tins.


Cover and cool completely on a wire rack .....


.....before turning out.


Sandwich together.....


.....with strawberry jam.



Dust top with icing sugar (powdered sugar).


Victoria Sandwich.


Done!

Now, about those "hiccups." The cake centers caved in a bit. I think this was due to the oven temperature. According to my Delia Smith cookbook, gas mark 4 equals 350 degrees, but I think next time I will set the oven to 400 degrees. The batter for this sponge is rather dense and I think a higher oven temperature might work better.

Or ... could it have been because I used 7" tins instead of 8" tins?

Also, next time I'm going to cream the butter before adding it into the bowl. Just a personal preference.

Despite the above, the cake's consistency is perfect, it looks great and tastes even better! I definitely think the Spon has a lot to do with this. I love it!

7 comments:

Steph said...

Oh, yay!!!! I never would have known about the caving. Yumm!!!!!

TheSponGuy said...

Sponge cake is a great way to assess your oven, an oven thermometer might help. The 7 inch tins will make that volume of mix "cook in" on itself though. Cheers, Neal The Spon Guy.

Denise ~ Charleston, South Carolina. said...

Thanks Neal. I do use an oven thermometer and kept monitoring it throughout the baking period as sometimes it does fluctuate. Next time I will use 8" tins. This is just a beautiful cake and delicious. My British hubby was well pleased! Thanks again.

Angela McRae said...

I love this! And I think the cake looks absolutely perfect! (We are all our *own* harshest critics, aren't we!)

Smitten by Britain said...

Hee, hee, I love the fact that you included a photo of your clock. That's funny Denise. You look like you're one hell of a baker. Well done!

Bernideen said...

This is incredible!

Linda J. said...

Lovely!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...