VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Teapot Terrarium


It's confession time: My thumb is NOT green. I can kill a silk flower. Plants in the garden shop shake and shiver when I appear. I am a complete idiot when it comes to gardening. However ..... I had forgotten about the terrarium. Something like this just might work for me!

The modern day terrarium was discovered in 1827 by Dr. Nathaniel Ward, a London doctor with a passion for botany (read about him here). His "Wardian cases" became very popular as decorative household displays.

There's also a tea connection (why are you not surprised??) for it was in 1848 that Robert Fortune used Wardian cases to transport (smuggle, actually) by sea 20,000 tea plant seedlings from China to Assam, India. This was the literal start of [British] India's tea plantations.

So really, a teapot terrarium embodies a bit of interesting symbolism and is just one more thing that is indeed - Uniquely Tea!

6 comments:

Vintage Sandy said...

Love your "tea terrarium" what do you have planted in it looks like moss? Very unique & lovely!

Steph said...

What a cool thing! I didn't know the tea connection.

Jason Witt said...

Yes, I'm interested in terrariums in glass teapots because of the original tea connection. Besides that, they're one attractive houseplant to keep around. --Teaternity

Frivolitea said...

The teapot terrarium is lovely and I enjoyed the bits of history as well. i do not have a green thumb either. When younger, my daughter told me that i have a red thumb rather than a green thumb. When I asked her what that meant she told me that it means I like to shop. (sales!)

parTea lady said...

What a terrific idea to use a glass teapot for a terrarium. I may just have to plant one of those.

Karen June Miller said...

I enjoy terrariums and they are pretty foolproof. I am finding that nurseries don't provide miniature plants much anymore. It used to be so easy to make terrariums.

I love the use of this glass teapot! It's so charming!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...