VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Monday, September 28, 2009

Tea Kettle Songbird

Thryothorus ludovicianus - the Carolina Wren - is our State Bird here in South Carolina. Its loud, clear song is sometimes written as “tea-kettle, tea-kettle, tea-kettle.” The small bird with the big voice sings this three-syllable chord over and over again. They sing each set of chords in bursts of three-to-five repetitions, sometimes adding a final “tea” to close the chorus. How fitting that this "tea-kettle" bird should make its habitat in South Carolina, where Tea is the state hospitality beverage!!! (Listen to the Carolina Wren here.)

5 comments:

Laura said...

Quite familiar with this fellow and his kin. They visit my birdfeeder on my deck all the time. Even stay and sing a while {G}

Mary Jane said...

Hi Denise,

Hope things are well with you!
Thank you for showing us this lovely songbird. I love waking up in the morning to the sound of the birds singing.

Here is a site where you can hear the songs of many birds to help identify them.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/carolina_wren/id

Mary Jane

Steph said...

Very cool!

Jason Witt said...

No more unsung heroes of tea. This Carolina Wren is celebrating the superstars of the tea kettle. --Teaternity

Southern Touch Catering said...

I do love their sound and what an interesting story

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...