VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Wednesday, September 16, 2009

London's Cabbie Tea Huts


One of my favorite Uniquely Tea things in London are Cabman's Shelters.


Near Russell Square

Built in Victorian England, these shelters were located on public highways and therefore not allowed to be any larger than a horse and cart. Today, as way back then, they serve as places for London cabbies to grab a quick cup of tea and a bite to eat, and to have a bit of a chinwag.

Thirteen of these little gems still exist in London and no matter how many times I visit there, I still squeal with delight when I see one! Tall & Handsome and I once stopped there for a cuppa. Talk about builder's tea!!!

You can read more about Cabman's Shelters here.


Cabbie Tea mug
1935-1945

This 3/4-pint tea mug would have been used by a cab driver 'taking a break' in a Cabman's Shelter. Cabbies bought their own mugs, which were kept for them at the shelter and looked after by the 'shelter boys'. [Museum of London]

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

What are they used as now?

Melanie said...

Do you know where they are? Is there an address list anywhere? Thanks - that's awesome!

Denise ~ Charleston, South Carolina. said...

Carolyn, they are still used by cab drivers for the same thing!

Melanie, Fortunately, yes! A list of locations can be found on the website I reference in "Read more about Cabman's Shelters here"

Marilyn Miller said...

I think I would squeal if I saw one too. What a fun thing to do.

Smitten by Britain said...

Oh, thank you Denise. I just finished telling a friend at work that I wanted to find one of these in London. I'm just betting they have the *best* cuppas.

Frivolitea said...

oh how neat! I just love this post: the info and the pictures. thank you!

Jason Witt said...

Oh, the "shelter boys." They're taking care of my cup. I'm a-waitin' for tea time. --Spirituality of Tea

Denise ~ Charleston, South Carolina. said...

These are brilliant aren't they Jason?

Jason Witt said...

Yes, Denise, they're beautiful little places. --Spirituality of Tea

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...