VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pictorial Tea Tour ......................... Elizabeth II (c.1940)



Conversation piece at the Royal Lodge, Windsor, 1950
National Portrait Gallery, London



King George VI, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Elizabeth (Queen Elizabeth II), and her sister Princess Margaret.

The Royal Family remained in London throughout the war, and when Buckingham Palace received a direct hit the Queen said 'Now we can look the East End in the face'. Determination to share in the fate of the nation increased the popularity of the monarchy.

The informality of the presentation, for which the Queen was responsible, was entirely new: set at Royal Lodge, where the family's life was informal, and at tea-time, an accessible and very British occasion. Commissioned to hang in a public collection, its domestic character demonstrates changes in perceptions of the monarchy.

This is a personal favorite - a framed print hangs in my living room. I just love it.

(Purchase the Royal Lodge print here)

3 comments:

Linda J. said...

I purchased this one on your Tea In London 2007 tour. It is a lovely reminder of that fabulous trip.

Denise ~ Charleston, South Carolina. said...

I don't think I realized that, Linda! It is beautiful, isn't it?

Angela McRae said...

This image is in one of my tea books and I love to look at it. It's neat that you and Linda have prints!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...