VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Monday, July 20, 2009

Pictorial Tea Tour .............. SAMUEL PEPYS (c.1660)



Samuel Pepys
The National Portrait Gallery, London

The world has learned so much from the writings of the famous English diarist Samuel Pepys, who recorded his daily life for almost ten years. He first mentioned drinking tea in his diary entry for September 25, 1660. He wrote that he had been discussing foreign affairs with some friends, 'And afterwards did send for a Cupp of Tee (a China drink) of which I never drank before'.

Since Pepys was a member of the wealthy and fashionable London set, his failure to mention tea earlier suggests that it was still unusual at this time. This was soon to change.

By the way, you can find Pepys' complete diary (1660-1669) online, where there are many more references to tea.

(Purchase the Samuel Pepys print here)



2 comments:

Angela McRae said...

I had no idea this was available online! THANK YOU!

Steph said...

This was one of my favorite parts of our tour!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...