VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Inside my china cabinet - Teacup 3 of 6

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

Today's teacup is Londonderry Air

Londonderry Air is an Irish anthem. Danny Boy is a popular set of lyrics to the tune.

Note the shamrocks encircling the saucer, and an image of the quintessential Irish cottage - just the type I wish I lived in!!!



There are six cups and saucers in this set, and it is called the Traditional British Songs Series by Royal Albert. These songs represent England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.


British Traditional Songs Series:

Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond
John Peel
Land of Hope and Glory
Londonderry Air
Men of Harlech
Road To The Isles

I first became aware of this series whilst browsing through teacups on eBay. (A Tea Lover can get into a lot of trouble doing that, you know!) I thought they were something a bit "different" so, over a period of time, I accumulated the set.

Obviously, these are no longer made and are highly collectible. Royal Albert created loads of "series" collections. I have not taken the time to research what year(s) these were produced, etc. Maybe one of these days I will.

Over the next few days, I will show you one teacup from the collection every day. Hope you enjoy!

7 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Love seeing each and every one.

Southern Touch Catering said...

Oh I just love this one!

caitlin said...

Top o' the Morning to you! Your tea cups are lovely, and I really enjoyed listening to 'Danny Boy' just now.

Steph said...

Well, you timed this one just right! :-)

parTea lady said...

That is such a pretty cup and saucer.

Angela McRae said...

Oh, this is my favorite so far. Love-love-love it!

Joyce said...

Very nice....and I've been to Derry/Londonderry. It's called either one depending on your perspective and what side of the Foyle river you live on. HA!
I never knew there was a teacup named after it though.
My MOST favorite tea that I drink is called...."Lady Londonderry."
Slante!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...