VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Monday, March 16, 2009

Inside my china cabinet - Teacup 2 of 6

Today's teacup is Men of Harlech

The song Men of Harlech is a military march describing events during the 7-year siege of Harlech Castle (1461-1468), which was the longest siege in the history of the British Isles. The tune featured prominently in the film Zulu. You also may have heard it played by President Barack Obama's high school (Punahou) marching band in his inaugural parade, where it was renamed "Men of Punahou".

Obviously, this is Harlech Castle shown on the cup and saucer. Note the national emblem of Wales, the daffodil, circling the saucer.


There are six cups and saucers in this set, and it is called the Traditional British Songs Series by Royal Albert. These songs represent England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.


British Traditional Songs Series:

Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond
John Peel
Land of Hope and Glory
Londonderry Air
Men of Harlech
Road To The Isles

I first became aware of this series whilst browsing through teacups on eBay. (A Tea Lover can get into a lot of trouble doing that, you know!) I thought they were something a bit "different" so, over a period of time, I accumulated the set.

Obviously, these are no longer made and are highly collectible. Royal Albert created loads of "series" collections. I have not taken the time to research what year(s) these were produced, etc. Maybe one of these days I will.

Over the next few days, I will show you one teacup from the collection every day. Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Linda J. said...

This teacup series is new to me. Thanks for the introduction!!

Steph said...

I think daffodils could be my personal emblem..except that iris could be, too. What a dilemma! :-)

I love these cups and saucers.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...