VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Monday, February 23, 2009

Tea Bricks


Front


Tea Bricks are blocks of whole or finely ground tea leaves that have been packed and pressed into molds. Developed in Ancient China, it made tea easily portable and took up little space when traveling the trade routes. One would simply "shave" off the amount of tea needed, then either toast it over a fire or grind the leaves down into a powder before infusing with hot water.



Back




Due to tea's popularity and value, Tea Bricks were "scored" so they could be broken into pieces (above) and used as currency.



Today, teas such as pu-erh (above) are commonly found in bricks, discs, and other pressed forms, and many tea companies sell Tea Bricks for use as a decorative object or teaching tool.


I have a Tea Brick and it's a great conversation starter!

4 comments:

Teresa @ Southern Touch Catering said...

How interesting & fascinating too!

Marilyn Miller said...

I have a tea brick tucked away. I really must bring it out. It is a conversation starter.

Steph said...

yes, I use mine in the same manner. It is very fun!

La Tea Dah said...

Very nice tea brick --- in fact I have one just like it! Last night I gave it a new place of honor in my china closet. I've had it several years, but it still smells so tea-wonderful!

:) LaTeaDah

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...