VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Saturday, January 24, 2009

Teapot Terrarium

It's confession time: My thumb is NOT green. I can kill a silk flower. Plants in the garden shop shake and shiver when I appear. I am a complete idiot when it comes to gardening. However ..... I had forgotten about the terrarium. Something like this just might work for me!

The modern day terrarium was discovered in 1827 by Dr. Nathaniel Ward, a London doctor with a passion for botany (read about him here). His "Wardian cases" became very popular as decorative household displays.

There's also a tea connection (why are you not surprised??) for it was in 1848 that Robert Fortune used Wardian cases to transport (smuggle, actually) by sea 20,000 tea plant seedlings from China to Assam, India. This was the literal start of [British] India's tea plantations.

So really, a teapot terrarium embodies a bit of interesting symbolism and is just one more thing that is indeed - Uniquely Tea!

9 comments:

Linda said...

That is really a cute idea. But I'm sure it would quickly die under my brown thumb! I am horrible with plants.

MikeH said...

That's a great idea. I wonder if it would work in a Mr. Coffee.

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

I'm right there with you, Linda.
Mike: ha ha I suppose it would!

Teresa @ Southern Touch Catering said...

Hi Denise,
You terrarium is beautiful & I hope it lasts forever.
PS Thanks for the kind words regarding mom.
Teresa

Phyllis said...

Really love this idea, Denise! Just might have to give it a try!

Marilyn Miller said...

Fascinating bit of history. It amazes me how you find these little tidbits. Fun!

Angela McRae said...

Oh my stars! And I just passed on a cheap glass teapot this weekend because I didn't need another! A tea-rarium. Gotta love it!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

"Tea-rarium"! Perfect, Angela! May I use your word in editing my post?

Steph said...

Oh, gosh! I just helped put together a terrarium last week with a friend. I must try this!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...