VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Saturday, December 27, 2008

When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops

I was a teenager when comedian George Carlin first started appearing on "The Johnny Carson Show" and other programs. His Al Sleet as the Hippy Dippy Weatherman (with the Hippy Dippy weather. Man.) was hilarious and over the years he wrote some pretty awesome stuff. We were lucky enough to see him in concert here in Charleston a couple of years ago, before he died. The below monologue is from his book When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? (Purchase here)

Fruit-flavored Teas

"I would like to talk to you about fruit-flavored teas. These would be teas that are flavored like fruit. Fruit-flavored teas. You need to understand that. These are not fruits. They’re teas.

But they taste like fruit. All right? They have names like strawberry kiwi, lemon berry, orange mango, wild cherry, blackberry and cranberry. They taste like fruit. And they sound like fruits, too, don’t they? They’re not. They’re teas. Fruit-flavored teas. And frankly, I don’t understand this.

Personally, I’ve always been of a mind that if you’re looking for fruit flavor, if you’re genuinely interested in something that tastes like fruit, and you find yourself in the tea section, you’re probably in the wrong aisle.

My advice is, if it’s fruit flavor you’re after, play if safe, go ahead and get some fruit. I have found in my experience that fruit almost always turns out to be reliable source of fruit flavor.

Another good place you may wish to look for fruit flavor would be in fruit juice. Fruit juice is made by squeezing the juice out of the fruit. Apparently, the juice that runs out of the fruit has fruit flavor. Perhaps that’s why they call if fruit juice. It doesn’t taste like tea. For tea taste, you would need to get some tea.

So let’s sum this up: If it’s fruit flavor you want, you can’t go wrong with fruit. Or, as I’ve pointed out, fruit juice. Don’t be ordering tea. Tea has tea flavor. It’s not like fruit. It’s more like tea. If you want tea, I say order tea. That’s a different experience. It’s known as “having tea.”

Have you noticed, by the way, there are no tea-flavored fruits? Take a clue from nature.”

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Ah, very well said and very funny! I do not like fruit teas myself but I also consider myself to be a bit of a tea snob. LOL!
When I drink tea, I want to taste the tea, not some fake flavouring over the tea, nor do I want to taste sugar. I take hot tea with milk which does not cover over the flavor. I order my iced tea straight up; naked if you like. And boy, do I get some looks from the drive-thru workers. How could someone possibly want to drink iced tea unless it has 10 tsp of sugar in it? Again, I want to taste the tea. If I want sugar water, I'll make sugar water. Needless to say I was not a happy camper when I lived in Texas and could not find unsweetened tea.

joan said...

Denise, that is hilarious. I just stole it and sent it on it's way. This is the first year I haven't been given frufru teas.

I am hanging out at a new site while my blog platform is down.

http://charlestondailyphoto.blogspot.com/

VeeTea said...

Ah, I miss him! Such wit!

I'm a tea writer/consultant and I'm working on sending samples out for a client. I noticed that you do tea coverage/reviews from time to time. Would you be interested in receiving a sample? If so, please email me your mailing address at vee (at) veetea (dot) com and we'll send one out.

I've read through your blog to see a bit about your preferences (and because it's entertaining and informative!), but if you'd like to add a note about your preferences, we can send something more suited to your personal tastes.


Thanks for the blog!
~Lindsey "Vee" Goodwin
VeeTea.com

samuel machinist tool box said...

hello to you my name is samuel I started a blog today and do not know how it work I want to know how link work and bromote the blog so tall me what you thank of the blog also if you need it my email is samcaward@yahoo.com I liked your blog my blog name is samuel machinist tool box

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...