VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Monday, November 24, 2008

Ooooo, Flaming Oolong!


If you're looking for something really special - and different - for your holiday tea party, why not try a Flaming Oolong?

My first and only experience with the Flaming Oolong was at The Tea Room in Savannah, Georgia. Prepared at table, it is quite impressive and very uniquely tea! You will see in my photo above that a sterling cognac spoon is used.

The video below shows the preparation of flaming tea, called here "Royal Tea".



Here is the "recipe" for Flaming Oolong courtesy of my friend and Macon, Georgia caterer Teddi Wohlford (who, by the way, gave me the sterling cognac spoon in the top photo).

FLAMING OOLONG TEA

for each 6 oz. cup of tea:
6 oz. boiling water
1 tsp. loose oolong tea
1 sugar cube
1 tsp. cognac

Prepare oolong tea: Pour boiling water over loose tea. Cover and let steep 3-5 minutes. Strain into a warmed teacup. Place sugar cube in a tablespoon or cognac spoon. Pour cognac over sugar cube. Using a fireplace match or longstem butane lighter, warm cognac in spoon by heating from beneath. Ignite warmed cognac and let the alcohol burn off - the sugar cube will melt and caramelize. When flame subsides, stir into tea. Sit back and enjoy! Serves 1

6 comments:

martha said...

What fun! Thank you so much for sharing this, Denise, and for the video.
I have flamed just about everything over the years when it come to food and drink, but never even thought of flaming sugar for tea. I love it!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Very cool, isn't it? Enjoy!

Marilyn Miller said...

Now this was a new one for me. I have not heard of Flaming Oolong. Thanks for sharing.

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

You're welcome, Marilyn. It's really quite impressive "in the flesh". The video doesn't do it justice but I thought it would be helpful in trying to explain ...

Steph said...

Oh, WOW!

Sara Gyllstrom said...

Hi Denise,

I recently saw your recipe and website on Yahoo Tea groups and thought it was a great idea! I work as a marketing associate for Kalahari Tea and we just sent out a newsletter linking to your recipe. Just thought I would drop you note and let you know that you will be receiving lots of views from our customers. Thanks again for the great recipe!

Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, we would like to send you some free Kalahari Tea samples so please feel free to email me your address.

Thanks again!

Sara Gyllstrom

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...