VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Friday, September 19, 2008

Teapot Dome Gas Station - Zillah, Washington

This little gas station was built in 1922 by Jack Ainsworth as a commentary on the Teapot Dome scandal involving President Harding and a federal petroleum reserve in Wyoming. It is said to be the oldest gas station in use in the country. Read its unique history here.

It is no longer in use but some City of Zillah staff have formed a group called "Friends of the Teapot Association" and they are raising funds to relocate the structure closer to downtown and possibly convert it into a tourism information center. There, they say, "the Teapot could be watched and cared for in a way that respects the history and artistry for which it represents".

1 comment:

La Tea Dah said...

So cool, Denise! I was just at Teacup Dome on Sunday and stopped to take pictures. The gas sign said 79 cents per gallon! The pictures I took are still in my camera! I've loved this place since I was a little child! In those days it was still a full service gas station. There are plans to 'move it' to a new location (in order to save it) but I will miss it where it is very much!

LaTeaDah

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...