VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Christmas in August

We live in a teensy, tiny 948 sq. ft. "cottage" that we adore, although it's still very much a work-in-progress. This small front bedroom has no closet, so we turned it into a dining room/library. Nothing special at all, and everything purchased on sale - draperies from JC Penney; assemble-yourself table and chairs courtesy of K-Mart; and cushions dug out from the back of a sale shelf at World Market.

My best friend Mary, as she does every year, is hosting a table at the upcoming 6th annual St. Stephen's Episcopal Church Cemetery Fundraising Tea (how's that for a mouthful?!), but she wanted to do something different this year rather than set her table with the usual china and floral centerpiece. I suggested she set a Christmas table and offered her the use of my Christmas teacup collection (purchased one-by-one over a period of time), and my tea tree (decorated with tea ornaments received over the years from friends and family) to use as a centerpiece. I set everything out so she could take a look and thought I'd snap a photo or two to share with you.

The tea will be on August 23 and I promise I will post photos, but if you'd like to take a look at last year's tea (over 300 in attendance, 38 beautiful, unique tables each created by individual hostesses, and over $4,000 raised) you are invited to view the slideshow - 53 pictures accompanied by Bach's Air on a G String - here.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

What a creative idea! I set a table for the History Center's Creche Luncheon every year, and this past year, we did "I'll have a Blue Christmas Without You".

Coming up with the themes is fun! Putting it all together is even better!

Angela McRae said...

How thoughtful of you to set that up for your friend! And the slide show was fun to see! So many details to catch (I need to go back and study it some more). I saw a tiny little Charleston cookbook like I bought there a few years back, and boy, do I love that monogrammed silver teapot. Saw some trios that made me think Friendship Tea must have had a table there, too! Lovely!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Themes truly are fun, aren't they! We thought we were being so clever coming up with a Christmas table setting, but the rumor mill is saying there may be 1 or 2 other Christmas tables there! Alas.

Thanks for stopping by Kelly!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Angela, I can't wait until this year's tea! St. Stephen is just a tiny little hamlet - really just nothing there at all. It amazes us that over 300 people show up for this tea! It's great fun! Maybe you can plan on joining us in 2009?

Linda said...

I am helping plan a fundraiser tea for October and appreciate being able to see this slide presentation again. It is very inspirational to this tea gal!!! I love your Christmas theme complete with your tea tree center piece. I look forward to hearing details and seeing photos of the 2008 event.

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Thanks, Linda. Can't wait to show you the "finished product" of our Christmas table setting. They are lucky to have you on their fundraising planning committee!

belinda said...

Is food served? Same menu for all or does table decorator do her food?
I'm putting this on my calendar for 2009 as I have family in Charleston.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...