VISIT MY NEW BLOG!




I invite you to visit Tea in England, my new blog from England!

Whilst you're there, please subscribe to my free updates, and 'Like' my Facebook Fan page.
Thank you!



Thursday, July 3, 2008

Brief Encounter

Yesterday's blog post mentioned Noel Coward, which immediately set me thinking about one of my all-time favorite movies, "Brief Encounter", which was based on Coward's one-act play, "Still Life".

"Brief Encounter" (c.1946) is the quintessential English romantic drama - filmed in black & white and very atmospheric (thanks to the well-known and talented director David Lean). What makes it absolutely brilliant, of course, is the fact that a large part of the film's action takes place in the refreshment room (i.e., tea room) of a train station. It is a bittersweet love story, amply enhanced by the haunting melody of Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto.


The Brief Encounter Refreshment Room today


"Brief Encounter" was filmed in the North of England, during the war, at Carnforth railway station. This particular location was chosen partly because it was far enough from Southeast England that, should there be one, it would receive sufficient warning of an air-raid attack and there would be time to turn out the filming lights to comply with wartime blackout restrictions.

Here are Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard in the final scene:





So popular and well-loved is this film that in 2000, a £1.5 million project restored the then derelict "Brief Encounter Refreshment Room". Today it is known as the only tea room worldwide to have been designed with the aid of a black and white film!

Click here for more interesting information on "Brief Encounter".

7 comments:

Kelly said...

How funny! I just sat down with my cup of Mariage Freres Marco Polo tea to read my email/blog comments, and here you are! How nice of you to stop by! I hope you make this a regular place to visit! I am happy to take requests for you, in the event you are missing the place!

Steph said...

Can you believe - I haven't seen this!!!! Off to the library go bye!

Steph said...

Go "I"...

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Thanks, Kelly. Geneva is such a wonderful city - I have many fond memories: my very first job was at the cinema; when I graduated high school, I went to work for Chicago Title & Trust; so many fun memories of taking the train with my girlfriends into Chicago...and I DO miss The Little Traveler!

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Steph, I hope you enjoy the film. For me, it's one of those classics that I can watch time and time again. It's so veddy, veddy English!

Anonymous said...

A flickr photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/candicequinn/3340953335/
lets me think there is a Brief Encounter blend but I can't find it on the Atkinson site.
Kris

Denise at Uniquely Tea said...

Hello Kris, Welcome to Uniquely Tea and thank you for your comment. I have emailed Atkinson asking them about "Brief Encounter Tea". Will keep you posted. Cheers.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...